Thinking about purchasing a permanent secondary summer home? On today’s Risk Management Minute, Chip Gibson discusses a few factors you need to consider which will affect the pricing of your insurance policy.
SEARCHING FOR A SECOND HOME
Items to Consider
- Where is the home?
– Near water? (Elevation Certificate)
– Higher Hazard Area: Wildfire or Hurricane?
– Is it near Fire Department infrastructure? (protection class)
– Construction (not a homeowner’s product)
Does it need work?
Hiring GC or not?
– To be purchased by – LLC, Trust, Personal name?
Congratulations! You Bought a Home – What’s Next?
- Set up a team to care for the home (All should give COI with AI)
– Care Taker / Property Manager
– Emergency Contacts
– Plumber, Electrician, Etc.
- Prepare for a natural disaster
– Boards for windows and doors
– Hurricane / Wildfire Protection from Insurance Company
– Tree Removal
- Purchase Insurance: Evaluate Economics of Scale with Insurance Policies
– High Net Worth vs. Standard Market
– Increase your Umbrella Liability Limits.
Located in Wellesley Hills, MA.
I help firms lower their Total Cost Of Risk by identifying, organizing and addressing areas of strategic, hazard, workforce and business risk. The consultative model, The Deland, Gibson Difference, is designed to help companies lower risk, increase productivity and ultimately save money. The DG Difference incorporates a pre-loss, proactive, risk reduction plan AND an insurance proposal.
Specialties: Complex Personal Insurance, Professional and Financial Services, Health and Fitness